Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hi

So this is weird. I never thought I would be the type to make a "blog". Reason 1 because I never thought I would have enough cool things to say, and reason 2 because it still seems a bit narcissistic to me, assuming that there will be people who would actually care enough about my life to want to read about it. But as I'm sitting here in Hong Kong alone in my apartment, it seemed sort of like the thing to do...to document this "adventure" as my mom likes to call it. I think STARTING the blog is the hardest part; then when you get it going you just add little things as they happen. But I've already been here a whole WEEK, so I have a bit of catching up to do.

I'm currently living alone....annnndddd it sucks. I keep bitching about this to my friends, family, and other models as I meet them because I really do wish I had roommates, but no one understands! Everyone I talk to keeps telling me how lucky I am: roommates can suck, no privacy, etc etc. But okay, I'm lonely! Imagine going to a place on the other side of the world completely ALONE, and then not even having roommates to go out with, play with, show you the best places to eat and shop...it's sort of rough. But okay, to be fair I did have 1 roommate, Leanne, who was here when I first arrived. But she left after only a couple of days to go home, so I didn't want to get too attached. She introduced me to one good local friend she'd made who is currently the ONLY person I've hung out with since. Sad I know...I'm feeling a bit on the pathetic side right now haha. Alone and friendless. Ugh.

I am living in the apartment the agency has designated for "Americans and Canadians", so obviously there aren't any others here really. I am wishing for a roommate soon! The apartment is pretty small; there is a tiny little kitchen, bathroom, "living room" with a very small TV, and two bedrooms. Each bedroom has a bunk-bed, so presumably the agency is going to try to shove 3 more girls in here. That will be super tight. One more girl, maybe two would be perfect if they are both living in the other bedroom. Haha I'm ridiculous- I'm unhappy living alone, and I'm complaining how tight it will be living in here with 4 girls. Apparently I am impossible and cannot be pleased.

I wish I had my CAMERA! I cannot even believe I forgot to pack it. I mean, isn't that the one thing that most normal people double check for? I came prepared with all the necessary plugs, cords, batteries and then forgot to pack the freaking camera...I would. Mom has shipped it to me so I'll hopefully get it soon. Then ASAP I'll add pictures of everything and anything. Until then this is going to be a pretty boring blog. I mean no one likes to read, only look at pictures, right? I know I'm like that most of the time ahah.

So here are some random things I've seen/done/noticed since I've been here worth sharing:

The Agency
My agency over here is Elite. Check out their cheese-ball website HERE.

It is ridiculous to me how different the style of pictures they like over here is from NYC. In New York it's okay to look tough, or weird, or different or whatever. Here they want everyone to look like a sweet, innocent, 15 year old...which I do not...or maybe I do, I just don't think I do..look very sweet that is. They are supposedly a really good one over here though. Their office is nice, about a 5 min walk from my apartment. Honestly though, I don't think they are very friendly. I'm thinking it might be a cultural difference. Like, I walk in and am ignored. Ookkayyyy, you guys can at least say "HI", I mean you flew me over here to work, right, so don't you care that I'm here? Mmm, guess not.

My first day there they take my measurements and tell me I am so tall. I am 5'10", ie, average height for a model in the states. I think I just seem so tall to them because they are all so short. And walking down the street here I feel very tall, especially when standing in a crowded elevator with all Asians. This always cracks me up.

The MTR
The metro system here, or MTR, is completely amazing. Everything is ridiculously clean, and the trains look like something out of the Jetsons. I am serious. PICTURES will come as soon as my camera comes. The MTR puts the NYC subway to shame. I realize though that obviously their subway system is so new and the one in NYC is old, but I feel like even if NYC's subway WAS new that Americans just don't have the same respect and pride to keep it clean and not throw their garbage on the ground. Eating or drinking is not allowed in the metro, and people follow the rules. Everyone follows the rules with everything. Imagine that. That would never happen back home. All of the stations too are so well marked from the outside, and I appreciate it SO much. NYC can really take a lesson here...I can't tell you the countless times I've wandered around in a 5 block radius for 20 minutes back home just trying to find the freaking subway entrance.

Fur Charity Fashion Show
So yesterday I did my first job. I didn't even really get the satisfaction of BOOKING this job, though, because I basically took my old roommates spot who couldn't do the show because she was leaving. So I got it. It was for Frede Derick (whoever that is), and ahahah it was interesting.

The day was SO LONG. I got there at 10 am and got home at 11:30 pm. I am REALLY disappointed I didn't have my camera to document this because it was certainly note worthy. The hair was HUGE: they gave us big pouffy (and stiff from hair spray) 60's bouffants. Make-up was dark red lips and smoky eyes. All together it looked a bit streetwalker-ish I thought. I met a bunch of the other girls that are with Elite which was nice (yay potential friends!), but either A. they are leaving to go home in a week, or B. They don't speak English very well. Language barriers are tough. It sucks. I get very excited to meet girls from America...much easier to relate.

I tried to find pictures of the show online, but google comes up in Chinese...big help. Oh well. CAMERA PLEASE GET HERE!

Other Random things:

***Yay! There is a McDonalds across the street from my apartment. Mmm

***I am officially obsessed with Sudoku (thanks Rach and Mike!). I can't stop playing it.

***There is a maid that comes to clean the apartment 2x/week. This would be great if the bitch didn't steal my favorite Lion King towel!

***Almost every day I pass by an outdoor store thing that sells birds-all kinds. Parakeets, tropical ones, LOUD ones, parrots. I stop by every day and say hi to the parrots for like 10 minutes. (Rebby you would HATE it..because there are random ones just flying around. And it is so loud in there they don't stop chirping and squaking.

Okay. I am going to end this post. WOW it is long. Plus I just am so disappointed I can't add pictures yet. Boo. The pictures will make a big difference I think..will make the blog much more interesting. I hope :(

Love and miss everyone at home,
xoxo
Sam



8 comments:

Barbara said...

I love this blog. So much fun! The girl can write!

LadyBug8351 said...

I think you should bring Rebby back a pet bird, just saying she would love it...lol
And, on a side note, the Hello Kitty notebook you got me last time you were in Hing Kong just ran out. I think it is a very weird coincidence.

L.Jay said...

L.Jay is not a secret admirer, just a back home supporter. Way to go girl!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I would hate those birds! Thanks for keeping us updated, hope all is going well and the roommates show up soon! lots of love xo

Linda S. said...

Hi, Sam! Enjoyed your blog--looking forward to some pics. Hang in there--the friends will come!

Anonymous said...

Sammm
I never pictured you as a blogger either, but this is kind of cool. I'm glad you finally figured out sudoku! You're going to get so good if you play a lot.

Sam said...

Christina...aaha maybe rebby WILL get a new pet bird ;)..and maybe YOU will get a new Hellokitty notebook if you're a good girl!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're keeping a blog...I need to stay updated on your adventures!! I can't wait for pictures though!

ps I really hope you somehow watched The Office last night. High qual for sure.