Wednesday, November 19, 2008

November 19th

So today was pretty fun; I only had one casting this morning, so after that I mostly wandered around the city going in and out of shops, and I got my nails done. So I have some thoughts and pictures to share!

(Click the pics to make them bigger)

The City



My Manicure:

I went to the agency today and asked Naomi, one of the girls who works there where I could go to get a quick and inexpensive manicure; she sends me to "Suki Nail". I walk in and there are 8 manicurists standing around, and no other customers in there; good sign to start...

So after fighting it out (not) Kary becomes my "nail beautician" as her name tag says. I am surprised that Kary can even button her jeans let alone give manicures, since her own nails are more like talons, and are covered in glitter, jewels, and flowers. They look a bit like this, no joke, but they may have been longer (and with more sparkles if possible) :


I have noticed a trend over here with this type of "nail art". Tons of girls have them. If we are being honest, I think they are completely hideous let alone functional, but no one seems to care. I prefer an understated pale pink manicure thanks, but whatever floats their boats is cool.

This may have been one of the worst manicures I've ever had, for various reasons. Half way through (like they do in the states in some cheap places) Kary asked me if I wanted my eyebrows waxed; needless to say I respectfully declined, lest I end up looking permanently surprised like she did. Not 5 minutes after I left I noticed I had smudged a finger. Boo.

Anyways, I won't be returning to "Suki Nail". Moving on...

Shopping:


Okay, I have something else to bitch about: "No Fitting". SO MANY little shops have signs all over their clothing store stating that you are not allowed to try the clothes on before you make your purchase. You wouldn't believe how common this is, and the people seem to be okay with it. "No Fitting" would be fine, provided you were allowed to return or exchange them if they did not fit...but you CAN'T! Does anyone else think this is ridiculous??? I should buy a pair of jeans without trying them on, that I'm not even allowed to return if they don't fit? Ummmm....no.


I saw these necklaces in a shop and thought they were hilarious. Would people actually wear a huge clunky Santa necklace like this? Sadly, I know the answer to this question, and it is yes they will...
Some tragic mannequins outside a cheap clothing shop. Unfortunately, these are a good indication of the current Hong Kong street fashions...


A cheap bootleg DVD store I found on some random alley! I bought 3 DVD's for $19 HK each, which equals $2.50 USD! yay!


Cheap shoe store = HOPELESS.


"Rock the Playboy If You Don't Swing Don't Ring". What? Does this mean anything to anyone?



Today I discovered "Export Fashion shops". Translation= "we stole these clothes right from the factories in China and are selling them to you at what they are really worth", which is next to nothing. These shops are FILLED with name brand clothing, stuff like Abercrombie, American Eagle, Ann Taylor Loft, Juicy Couture, Calvin Klein, Polo, etc. Most of the clothes have the original brand name tags on them.

Remember how you spent $80 US dollars on that pair of Abercrombie jeans? Well they are selling those same jeans here for $80 HK dollars, or $10 USD. Ouch, I know.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Wowee! The nails, the clothes, the shops!! It is strange that they expect people to buy clothes without trying on and no returns! That would never fly here in the US!

LadyBug8351 said...

Haha...I love your comments on the pictures, probably because I was thinking the same with every one. I don't even know what to say, except that you should definitely get a Santa necklace...so stylish:)

Anonymous said...

I second Christina's comment. Those necklaces are ballin!